Thursday, December 19, 2013

Whatever Happened to Free Speech

I read in the paper today that Phil Robertson is being kicked off of Duck Dynasty because he said that homosexuals are sinners. He even quoted scripture to show why he believes that. I've only seen a few episodes of the series, (Other than sports I don't watch much TV) but I've discovered that I have quite a lot in common with the four men on the show as far as beliefs.

What scares me is that we've gotten into an Orwellian state where people with sincere religious beliefs aren't allowed to say their mind for fear of censure. What's next? Putting him in jail for having such beliefs in the first place. I know some who would agree with that. I thought the first amendment protected speech other than obscenity or fighting words. He certainly wasn't trying to pick a fight, just state what he sincerely believes, and I've heard much worse obscenity on that same TV network.

I understand that the network has the right to air what they wish and not air what they don't wish, but by refusing to allow this man to state his opinion for fear that it would offend a portion of the audience just proves what conservatives have been saying for a long time. The media is controlled by the left wing who want to use it to spread their agenda. Namely the acceptance of homosexual behavior.

By the way, stating support of homosexuality on television also offends a large portion of the audience, the Christians. But we know how to counter it. We just don't watch. Maybe it's time we spoke up more for our free speech rights.

UPDATE! Due to public demand, Phil has been reinstated. It seems A&E realized that there are a lot of people who agree with Phil and they DO watch TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment